Yesterday Oracle made an announcement regarding its Database Oracle 11g. The news is that Release 2 of Oracle 11g is now available. Oracle 11g Release 2 comes after a period of two years(11g was launched then). Mark Townsend, vice president database product management. Mark Townsend, vice president database product management believes that the Oracle 11g Release 2 primarily focuses and strives on consolidating hardware and virtualization. As you can expect this release brings with it many new features.
- Real Application Cluster (RAC) now has server pooling technologies – With the incorporation of server pooling technologies, it will become easier to manage and provision database grids. Townsend believes that this update is geared toward dynamically adjusting servers as corporations manage the ebb and flow between data requirements for datawarehousing and applications.
- Introduction of RAC One Node - This is a new addition that makes it easier to consolidate databases that may not be mission-critical but still require redundancy
- Improvements to Automatic storage management – With the improvements made to automatic storage management that add cluster file system tools, it would simplify the process of virtualizing storages.
- Performance improvement and optimization for Oracle’s Exadata storage appliances.
- Data Warehousing gets improved - Performance improvements for data warehousing.