Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run.
After 22 months of constant development the Debian Project officially announced the release of Debian GNU/Linux version 5.0 (codenamed Lenny).
Debian GNU/Linux runs on computers ranging from palmtops and hand held systems to supercomputers, and on nearly everything in between.
in total twelve architectures are supported:
• Sun SPARC (sparc)
• HP Alpha (alpha)
• Motorola/IBM PowerPC (powerpc)
• Intel IA-32 (i386)
• IA-64 (ia64)
• HP PA-RISC (hppa)
• MIPS (mips, mipsel)
• ARM (arm, armel)
• IBM S/390 (s390)
• AMD64 and Intel EM64T (amd64)
It also support Marvell’s Orion platform. Supported storage devices include the QNAP Turbo Station series, HP Media Vault mv2120, and Buffalo Kurobox Pro.
Debian 5.0 includes numerous updated software packages
• The K Desktop Environment 3.5.10 (KDE)
• An updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 2.22.2
• The Xfce 4.4.2 desktop environment
• LXDE 0.3.2.1
• The GNUstep desktop 7.3
• X.Org 7.3
• OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
• GIMP 2.4.7
• Iceweasel 3.0.6 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
• Icedove 126.96.36.199 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
• PostgreSQL 8.3.6
• MySQL 5.0.51a
• GNU Compiler Collection 4.3.2
• Linux kernel version 2.6.26
• Apache 2.2.9, Samba 3.2.5
• Python 2.5.2 and 2.4.6
• Perl 5.10.0, PHP 5.2.6
• Asterisk 188.8.131.52
• Emacs 22
• Inkscape 0.46
• Nagios 3.06
• Xen Hypervisor 3.2.1 (dom0 as well as domU support)
• OpenJDK 6b11
• And more than 23,000 other ready-to-use software packages (built from over 12,000 source packages)
For non-native English speaking users the package management systems is supported to translate package descriptions and it will automatically show the description of a package in the native language of the user.
Debian GNU/Linux can be installed from various installation media such as DVDs, CDs, USB’s or from the network.
The key strengths of Debian’s project are its volunteer base, its dedication to the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide the best operating system possible.